New York Pizza Sauce
- 28 oz strained tomato
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 sprig basil (about 6 inches, leaves and all)
- 1⁄2 large onion (white)
- 2-4 cloves garlic (whole, peeled)
- Salt (to taste)
- Melt butter and combine with olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add red pepper flakes and garlic. Cook on medium heat until garlic is aromatic.
- Add 1⁄2 onion whole, strained tomato, oregano, and basil. Bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat until bubbles just barely break the surface. Cook until reduced to approriate consistency, stirring occasionally (about 45 minutes).
- Add salt to taste. Strain out basil, onion, and garlic.
Pan Pizza Dough
Ingredients (in baker’s percentages):
- Approx. 125 g bread flour (makes 1)
- 63% water
- 5% active-dry yeast
- 2% salt
- 2% sugar
- 2.5% olive oil
- Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir until a shaggy mess forms.
- Knead until smooth. Let rise in an oiled cast-iron pan (10.5 in) covered in seran wrap, about 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spread dough to edges of pan and let rest 30 minutes.
- Top and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until top is done. If the bottom crust is undercooked, move pan to stove-top and heat on low-medium until done.