1. Required Texts
John L. Hennessy and David A. Patterson,
Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach
Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, FIFTH Edition, 2012.
Students will be taught to read the literature through many papers linked off of the lecture schedule.
This course includes a large reading component of approximately 20 papers over the course of the semester.
3. Offline References
- John Shen and Mikko Lipasti,
Modern Processor Design: Fundamentals of Superscalar Processors, McGraw-Hill, 2005.
- Mark D. Hill, Norman P. Jouppi, and Gurindar S. Sohi
Readings in Computer Architecture
Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2000.
- David A. Patterson and John L. Hennessy,
Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware and Software Interface,
(CS/ECE 552 text)
4. Online References
- Synthesis Lectures on Computer Architecture,Mark Hill, editor, Morgan & Claypool Publishers, Full PDF available on campus. Examples: parallelizing compilers, transactional memory, warehouse-scale computers, chip multiprocessors, memory consistency & coherence, and on-chip networks.
- ACM Digital Library (full text from on-campus IP addresses)
- IEEE Xplore (full text from on-campus IP addresses)