Program Traces Example
The input data:
- are gathered from program traces from a materials science application.
The application is distributed across multiple workstations.
- contain attributes: workstation number, job number, and starting and
ending time for each job.
The input file looks like:
5 51 179 27 1
1 8 191 31 1
7 82 236 25 1
We are trying to debug the program, and compare the performance of
different distributed algorithms.
click here to see our model of creating visualizations.
The visualization is created as follows:
- Map each record, representing one computation, to a rectangle:
workstation number on the Y axis, and time on the X axis. The length of
the rectangle represents the length of each computation. Map
job number to color.
- Use the mouse button to fetch the actual records under the mouse pointer.
The records are displayed textually in a pop-up window.
- This example is used to illustrate the mapping flexibility of DEVise.
- Calculations occur in cycles.
- Black rectangles are represented by aborted jobs: jobs
that have to be abandoned because a workstation is reclaimed by its user.
Back to DEVise home page.