My 2007 Honda CBR 1000RR has flush mounted turn signals meaning that it is hard for cars coming head on to see which way I am turning, this is especially difficult at 4 way stops when I want to turn left and the car in front of me thinks I am going straight. COVID-19 left me at home with my thoughts long enough that I decided to not only fix my problem, but have some fun with it as well. Many high end cars such as Audi, Lamborghini, and Ford Mustang have dynamic turn signals and LED accent lighting that I decided to recreate for my motorcycle.
First I had to figure out how feasible it would be to have running light-turn signals on my motorcycle. I took my multimeter and probed around the turn signals and found that one wire only received power when the turn signals were NOT flashing. I researched different types of current sensors, addressable LEDs (to achieve the dynamic turn signal effect), and different kinds of microcontrollers.
I purchased in phases. First I purchased an Adafruit Feather 32u4 with Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) capabilities and an inexpensive ring of addressable LEDs in order to experiment before spending larger dollar amounts. Once I understood how to write to my addressable LEDs and interact with them over BLE, I moved on to purchasing my current sensors. The first current sensor I purchased was an ACS712 current sensor that wrote to an analog pin on my microcontroller. I was unable to read the small amounts of power going to the LEDs on my motorcycle with the ASC712 so I needed to rethink my plan. I ended up selecting the INA260 breakout board that communicated over I2C. I hooked up one sensor and ran some tests. I was able to read the current coming off my LEDs, great! I purchased connectors to wire the INA260 into my motorcycle with the ability to remove them if need be. The next problem I encountered was what seemed like noisy data coming from my sensors. When only one current sensor was connected, everything would work great, however when both were connected, I would have issues, zero current would read anywhere from 0 to 4000 milliamps. After hours of testing to find where this noisy data was coming from, I found that the problem was occurring when I started up both INA260 sensors at the same time. My solution was to start up one sensor, read, power down, and repeated the process with the other sensor.
Took apart the front of my motorcycle.
Baked the headlights so I could pry apart the headlights.
Installed the LEDs in the headlights.
INA260 in its own plug in section to read when blinkers are in "Driving Lights Mode." If the blinkers are blinking, the driving lights wire will recieve no current and we know the blinker is blinking without having to wait for and detect an inconsistent blink.
Start assembling and running wires on the motorcycle. Solder. Solder. Solder. Wire LED power and microcontroller into motorcycle power system.
Me (Austin Fisk) on my cycle
Connects to the Bluefruit app via Bluetooth Low Energy. Can change the colors of the Driving Lights and Turn Signals.
Summer/Fall 2020 project complete.
Return To Landing Page