This is an old page. Please see
GSview 4.2 has been released and is
available from the directory
Specific files are:
GSview requires AFPL Ghostscript.
You must download AFPL Ghostscript separately.
See Obtaining AFPL Ghostscript 7.04.
For Win32, obtain and install Ghostscript, then run the GSview
self extracting archive gsv42w32.exe.
For OS/2, unzip gsv42os2.zip then read the GSview
GSview is a graphical interface for Ghostscript under MS-Windows or OS/2.
Ghostscript is an interpreter for the PostScript page description language
used by laser printers.
For documents following the Adobe PostScript Document Structuring
Conventions, GSview allows selected pages to be viewed or printed.
AFPL Ghostscript 7.03-7.99.
- Display and print PostScript and PDF files.
- View pages in arbitrary order (Next, Previous, Goto).
- Page size and Orientation are automatically selected from
DSC comments or can be selected using the menu.
- Print selected pages using Ghostscript.
- Convert pages to bitmap, PDF or PostScript.
- Selectable display resolution, depth, alpha.
- Single button zoom.
- Extract selected pages to another file.
- Copy display bitmap to clipboard.
- Save clipboard bitmap as BMP file.
- Add bitmap or user preview to EPS file
(Interchange, TIFF or Windows Metafile)
- Graphically select and show bounding box for EPS file.
- Extract bitmap preview or PostScript from DOS EPS file.
- Extract text or search for text.
- Can read gzip and bzip2 compressed PostScript and PDF files.
- On-line help.
- Win32, OS/2 and Linux/X11 executables. Older versions support Win16.
- Can be run directly off a CD-ROM.
- English, Dutch (incomplete) French, German, Greek, Italian,
Spanish and Swedish languages.
- Per user initialisation files for Windows.
- Includes setup program.
- Free (Aladdin Free Public Licence).
- Works with AFPL Ghostscript 7.03 - 7.99 (GSview checks the
Ghostscript version number). There are older versions of GSview
that will work with Ghostscript 4.03 - 7.00.
Changes in version 4.2:
- Works with GS 7.04 security update.
- Added Swedish translation.
- Fixes lockup on Mac PostScript files.
- Pstoedit is not included. You will need to download this
- Several minor bug fixes.
GSview was written by Russell Lang
at Ghostgum Software Pty Ltd.
GSview 4.2 should be used with AFPL Ghostscript 7.04 or later.
See the release announcement
For post-release notes on GSview, see
known problems and bugs.
by Russell Lang