Liu, Ji (Áõö«)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, (Wisconsin); email@example.com (ASU)
I am currently the third year student supervised by Stephen J. Wright in the Department of Computer Sciences of University Wisconsin-Madison. Before joining UW, I learned from Jieping Ye and Peter Wonka and obtained my master degree majoring in Computer Science at Arizona State University. My current research interests include machine learning, optimization, and computer vision.
Machine Learning (sparse learning: theory and algorithm)
Optimization (asynchronous methods, large scale problem, efficient first order algorithm, stochastic algorithm)
Computer Vision (tensor completion, image inpainting, image segmentation, stereo vision)
University of Wisconsin, Madison 09/2010-present
PHD candidate, in Computer Sciences
Arizona State University (ASU) 09/2008-08/2010
Master Degree in Computer Science
Advisors: Jieping Ye and Peter Wonka
University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) 09/2001-07/2005
Bachelor degree in Automation
Minor degree in Business Management
21. Ji Liu, Yuan Lei, and Jieping Ye, ¡°Guaranteed Sparse Recovery under Linear Transformation¡±, ICML, 2013.
20. Yang Cong, Ji Liu, Junsong Yuan, and Jiebo Luo, ¡°Self-supervised Online Metric Learning with Low Rank Constraint for Scene Categorization¡±, IEEE Transaction on Image Processing, 2013.(To appear)
19. Bo Liu, Sridhar Mahadevan, and Ji Liu, ¡°Regularized Off-Policy TD-Learning¡±, NIPS, 2012.(Spotlight)
18. Ji Liu and Stephen J. Wright, ¡°Robust Dequantized Compressive Sensing¡±, Arxiv preprint arXiv:1207.0577, 2012.
17. Jianhui Chen, Ji Liu, and Jieping Ye, ¡°Learning Incoherent Sparse and Low-Rank Patterns from Multiple Tasks¡±, ACM Transaction on Knowledge Discovery from Data, 2012.
16. Ji Liu, Peter Wonka, and Jieping Ye, ¡°A Multi-stage Framework for Dantzig Selector and Lasso¡±, Journal of Machine Learning Research, 2012.
15. Yang Cong, Junsong Yuan, Ji Liu, "Abnormal Event Detection in Crowded Scenes Using Sparse Representation", Pattern Recognition, 2012. (To appear)
14. Ji Liu, Przemyslaw Musialski, Peter Wonka, and Jieping Ye, ¡°Tensor Completion for Estimating Missing Values in Visual Data¡±, IEEE Transaction on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 2012. [code]
13. Yang Cong, Junsong Yuan, Ji Liu, "Sparse Reconstruction Cost for Abnormal Event Detection", CVPR, 2011.
12. Ji Liu, Peter Wonka, and Jieping Ye, ¡°Multi-stage Dantzig Selector¡±, NIPS, 2010. [code]
11. Jianhui Chen, Ji Liu, and Jieping Ye, "Learning Incoherent Sparse and Low-Rank Patterns from Multiple Tasks", KDD, 2010. (Honorable Mention for the best research paper)
10. Ji Liu, Przemyslaw Musialski, Peter Wonka, and Jieping Ye, ¡°Tensor Completion for Estimating Missing Values in Visual Data¡±, ICCV, 2009. [video] [code]
9. Ji Liu, Jun Liu, Peter Wonka, and Jieping Ye, ¡°Sparse Non-negative Tensor Factorization Using Columnwise Coordinate Decent¡±, 45(1), 649-656, Pattern Recognition, 2012. [code]
8. Ji Liu, Yang Cong, Yuechao Wang, Yandong Tang, ¡°Lunar Terrain Reconstruction Based on PDEs Method¡±, 2008 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp1504-1507. San Diego, America, Oct. 2008.
7. Ji Liu, Junjian Peng, Yuechao Wang, Yandong Tang, ¡°A PDEs Method Preserving Boundaries on Dense Disparity Map Reconstruction¡±, 3rd Conference of Computer Vision Theory and Application (VISAPP). Madeira, Portugal, pp655-661, Jan. 2008.
6. Ji Liu, Yuechao Wang, Chuan Zhou, Yanfeng Geng, ¡°A Navigation Simulation System of Lunar Rover¡±, 2008 IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control (ICNSC), pp556-561, Sanya, China, Apr. 2008. [video1] [video2]
5. Ji Liu, Yuechao Wang, Chuan Zhou, Yongzhi He, ¡°A Method of Eliminating the Wheel-terrain Interaction Errors in Lunar Rover Simulation¡±, Chinese Journal of System Simulation, ISSN 1004-731X, vol. 14, 2008.
4. Yang Cong, Xiaomao Li, Ji Liu, YandongTang, ¡°A Stairway Detection Algorithm based on Vision for UGV Stair Climbing¡±, 2008 IEEE International Conference on Networking, Sensing and Control (ICNSC), pp1806-1811, Sanya, China, Apr. 2008.
3. Jujian Peng, Ji Liu, Yanfeng Geng, Jianda Han, Yandong Tang, ¡°A Dynamic Stereo Matching Method Based on Epipaolar-region¡±, Chinese Journal of Computer engineering, ISSN 1000-3428, vol.24, 2008.
2. Yanfeng Geng, Kai Kang, Ji Liu, and Hong Wang, ¡°Manufacturing Schedule of Dual-armed Cluster Tools Based on Heuristic Search¡±, International Conference on Industry Technology (ICIT), Chengdu, China, Apr. 2008.
1. Yongzhi He, Chuan Zhou, Ji Liu, Dalong Tan, ¡°Research on Movement Simulation for Wheeled Mobile Robot¡±, Chinese Journal of Scientific Instrument, 4(28), pp217-220, 2007.
Research & Project Experiences
(06/2012-09/2012 at NEC Media Analytics
Machine Learning and Optimization
Greedy methods in feature selection and its theoretical analysis
(10/2010-present at UW-Madison, USA):
Machine Learning and Optimization
Accelerated randomized Kaczmarz algorithm
Robust dequantized compressive sensing
Abnormal event detection
(09/2008-08/2010 at ASU, USA):
Designed a multi-stage algorithm based on the standard Dantzig selector
Theoretically proved it outperforms the standard Dantzig selector
Proposed a definition for the trace norm of tensor
Designed an algorithm to estimate the missing value in tensor data by minimizing the trace norm of the tensor
Applied the proposed algorithm on image inpainting and biological data completion
Proposed a fast (5-10times faster than the previous algorithms) sparse non-negative tensor factorization algorithm using columnwise coordinate decent (CCD).
Applied the proposed algorithm to extract the features in high dimensional data such as the embryo image data set
(09/2006-04/2008 at Chinese Academy of Science, China):
Proposed a general functional model including the prior information from image segmentation, in order to preserve the discontinuity on the boundaries.
Applied the proposed model to reconstruct the lunar terrain and register the medical images
Lunar Rover Simulation and Virtual Reality [video1] [video2]
Build up the software platform for the lunar rover navigation simulation system
Applied the numerical optimization technology to fix the error of the traditional kinematics model in system simulation (this intractable problem had puzzled our group for three months before my participation).
Reconfigurable Multi-modules Robot [video1] [video2]
Designed the multi-module coordinative motion strategy for the robot
Implemented most control algorithms in the hardware platform
3D Vessel Segmentation [video1] [video2]
Extended the ¡°snack¡± model to 3 dimensional case to segment the vessel in 3D data
Honors & Awards
Honorable mention of the best research paper in KDD, 2010
NIPS Travel Grant, 2010
PAMI TC Travel Grant, 2009
Grade 3, National Graduate Mathematical Contest in Modeling, 2007
First Prize, Mathematics Contest in Modeling of Northeast China, 2007 (7/2000+)
Excellent Student Scholarship, CAS, 2007
Graduate Fellowship with Honor, CAS, 2006
Outstanding Students Scholarship, USTC, 2003, 2004
Vice-Chairman of graduate Union in SIA, CAS, 2006-2008
Practice Ministry of Student Union, USTC, 2004-2005
Vice-Chairman of Student Union of Department of Automation, USTC, 2002-2003
Chairman of Student Union, No. 2 Middle School of Wanzhou, 1999-2000
Matlab, C, C++, Python, OpenGL, Java, Windows, Linux
Mathematical courses taken
Advanced Mathematics 1 (Calculus)
Advanced Mathematics 2 (Calculus)
Function of Complex Variable
Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics
Mathematics Physics Equations
Optimization Methods and Applications in Engineering
Stochastic Estimation and Control
Differential Equation and Image Processing
Algebra Theory in Control Science
Real Function Theory & Functional Analysis
Mathematical Theory in Control Science (Information Geometry)
Optimization Algorithms w/Engineering Applications
Bayesian Data Analysis
Nonlinear Optimization I
Nonlinear Optimization II