1998 VFR800FI "Interceptor"
Specifications, from Honda dealer literature:
Note: specs above are for bikes without California emissions equipment.
- Engine Type 781cc liquid-cooled 90deg. V-4
- Broke and Stroke 72mmx48mm
- Compression Ratio 11.6:1
- Valve Train Gear-driven DOHC, four valves per cylinder
- Fuel Induction Digital computer-controlled
36mm programmed fuel injection
- Ignition Digital 3-D mapping,
computer-controlled with electronic advance
- Transmission Close-ratio six-speed
- Final Drive O-ring-sealed chain
- Front: 41mm HMAS cartridge fork with sepless
spring preload adjustbility; 4.7 inches travel
- Rear: Pro-Arm single-sided swingarm with
Pro-Link-mounted HMAS gas-charged shock with 7-position spring preload
and stepless rebound damping adjustability; 4.7 inches travel
- Front: Dual 296mm disc with LBS three-piston calipers
- Frear: 256mm disc with LBS three-piston caliper
- Front: 120/70ZR17 radial
- Rear: 180/55ZR17 radial
- Wheelbase 56.7 inches
- Seat Height 31.7 inches
- Dry weight 458.6 pounds
- Fuel Capacity 5.5 gallons
- Color Red
The following technologies are the "first use...on a mass-production
- Engine components:
- High-pressure-formed aluminum/ceramic/graphite composite
cylinder sleeves: lighter than steel sleeves, better wear resistance
and heat dissipation qualities
- Precision programmed eletronic fuel injection
- Electronic control unit to meter fuel delivery and ignition
control on each cylinder
- Chassis: Pro
ArmTM single-sided cast aluminum swingarm is now mounted to
the engine. Honda claims it provides better rear-wheel accessibility
with more torsional rigidity.
- Other components:
Instrument cluster is lighter and thinner than what was used on older
models. Tachometer and speedometer are electronic with LCD displays
for coolant temp., odometer, two tripmeters and the clock.
In case this just isn't enough, I have the dealer information and specification sheet online as well.
Thanks to all who have supplied information and pictures of this
bike. A special thanks to Honda of Polaris (Texas) for the dealer
spec-sheet, from which most of specs on this page came from.
Copyright © 1997 John Perkins. All rights reserved.
These pages were compiled and designed by John Perkins as a public service.
Duplication of these pages on the World Wide Web is strictly
forbidden. I do not give permission to anyone to redirect to this
site from any external site. However, HTML links are encouraged.