Paper Reviews and Class Participation
Students are expected to have completed the assigned readings before
attending class and actively participate in discussions. Students are
encouraged to form groups to discuss papers before class.
To facilitate great class discussions, students must submit an email
review of selected papers at least 30 minutes before the lecture for
which the paper is assigned.
Late reviews will not be accepted and the time
is based on when the email is received, not sent.
It is possible that this schedule will change somewhat, and, if so,
I will send email a few days in advance.
Reviews should be emailed to the TA
- Subject: 752 Review of Author1 et al.: Title1.
The ASCII body of the message (NOT an attachment; NOT HTML) should
be 20 to 40 lines (maximum 3200 characters) with:
- a short paragraph summarizing the problem attacked or goal of the paper,
- a short paragraph summarizing the paper's methods (if any) and results, and
- a short paragraph giving your opinion of what is good and bad about the paper.
Reviews will be graded on a scale of Excellent (10 points), Satisfactory (7
points), and Unsatisfactory (3 points). Reviews that are too long will
automatically receive an Unsatisfactory grade. We may grade reviews
via sampling (i.e., grade all reviews but for only some of the papers).
Students are encouraged to discuss the papers before writing their reviews,
but each student must write their own independent review. Reading another
student's review prior to submitting your own constitutes academic misconduct.
Reader 1 Review Due Dates & Assignments:
- Due Fri Jan 20, 752 Review of
Moore: Cramming More Components ...
- Due Mon Jan 23, 752 Review of
Patterson: Latency lags Bandwidth
- Due Mon Jan 23, Read but no 752 Review of
ITRS Roadmap Introduction
- Due Wed Jan 25, 752 Review of
Wulf: Compilers and Computer Architecture
- Due Fri Jan 27, 752 Review of
Emer & Clark: A Characterization ... VAX-11/780
- Due Wed Feb 1, 752 Review of
Jouppi: Improving Direct-Mapped Cache Performance ...
- Due Mon Feb 6, 752 Review of
Albonesi: Selective Cache Ways ...
- Due Mon Feb 6, Read but no 752 Review of
Kim: An Adaptive, Non-Uniform Cache ...
- Due Wed Feb 8, Read but no 752 Review of
Vogt, Fully Buffered DIMM ...
- Due Mon Feb 13, 752 Review of
Jacob: Virtual Memory on ...
- Due Fri Feb 17, 752 Review of
Wang, Baer, and Levy: Organization and Performance ...
- Due Fri Feb 17, Read but no 752 Review of
Slegel: IBM's S/390 G5 ...
Reader 2 Review Due Dates & Assignments:
- Due Mon Feb 27, 752 Review of
Yeh & Patt: Two-level Adaptive Training Branch Prediction
- Due Wed Mar 1, Read but no 752 Review of
Ernst: A Low-Power Pipeline Based ...
- Due Fri Mar 3, 752 Review of
McNairy/Soltis: Itanium 2 Processor Microarchitecture
- Due Mon Mar 6, 752 Review of
Smith & Pleszkun: Implementing Precise Interrupts...
- Due Wed Mar 8, 752 Review of
Yeager: The MIPS R10000 ...
- Due Fri Mar 10, 752 Review of
Mutlu: Runahead Execution ...
- Due Fri Mar 10, Read but no 752 Review of
Gochman: The Intel Pentium M Processor ...
- Due Wed Mar 22, 752 Review of
Russell: The Cray-1 Computer System
- Due Fri Mar 24, Read but no 752 Review of
Owens: Streaming Architectures and Technology Trends
- Due Mon Mar 27, 752 Review of
Patterson, et al.: A Case for Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks (RAID)
- Due Wed Mar 29, 752 Review of
Tullsen et al.: ... Simultaneous Multithreading Processor
- Due Fri Mar 31, 752 Review of
Kongetira: Niagara ...
- That's It!