Paper Reviews and Class Participation
Students are expected to have completed the assigned readings before
attending class and actively participate in discussions.
To facilitate great class discussions, students must submit an email
review of selected papers at least 30 minutes before the lecture for
which the paper is assigned. I will email review assignments to the
class mailing list and post them below.
Late reviews will not be accepted and the time
is based on when the email is received, not sent.
Reviews should be emailed to the TA
- Subject: 757 Review of Author1 et al.: Title1.
The ASCII body of the message (NOT an attachment; NOT HTML) should
be 20 to 40 lines (maximum 3200 characters) with:
- a short paragraph summarizing the problem attacked or goal of the paper,
- a short paragraph summarizing the paper's methods (if any) and results, and
- a short paragraph giving your opinion of what is good and bad about the paper.
Reviews will be graded on a scale of Excellent (10 points), Satisfactory (7
points), and Unsatisfactory (3 points). Reviews that are too long will
automatically receive an Unsatisfactory grade. We will grade reviews
via sampling (i.e., grade all reviews but for only some of the papers).
Students are encouraged to discuss the papers before writing their reviews,
but each student must write their own independent review. Reading another
student's review prior to submitting your own constitutes academic misconduct.
Review Due Dates & Assignments:
Reading List for Exam 1
- Wed Jan 19: read H&P 6.1.
- Fri Jan 21: read HJ&S 9.
- Mon Jan 24: REVIEW Bell; read Seitz.
Your email's title should be: 757 Review of Bell: Multis.
- Wed Jan 26: read H&P 6.2; read Woo.
- Fri Jan 28: read Hillis&Steele; REVIEW Barosso.
- Mon Jan 31: read H&P 6.3-4.
- Wed Feb 2: read Sweazey&Smith; REVIEW Lamport.
- Mon Feb 7: REVIEW MCS; read Charlesworth.
- Wed Feb 9: REVIEW Hammond ; read Rajwar&Goodman.
Reading List for Exam 2
- Fri Feb 18: read H&P 6.5-6.6; REVIEW Laudon&Lenoski.
- Mon Feb 21: read H&P 6.8; REVIEW Adve/Gharachorloo
- Wed Feb 23: read Hill; REVIEW Amza.
- Fri Feb 25: read H&P 6.9-6.15; read Tendler.
- Mon Feb 28: REVIEW Barroso/Piranha; read Martin.
- Wed Mar 2: read H&P Sections 8.10-8.12; read Barroso/Google.
- Fri Mar 4: REVIEW Scott/T3E
- Mon Mar 7: read H&P Sections 8.1-8.9.
- Wed Mar 9: read H&P Sections 8.14-8.16.
- Fri Mar 11: REVIEW Mukherjee/21364.
- Mon Mar 14: read Sorin; REVIEW Prvulovic.
- Wed Mar 16: REVIEW Arvind; read Swanson.
- Fri Mar 18: read Leiserson; read Gokhale.