Drumline Audition Information
Mike Lorenz (percussion instructor) to receive a copy of the audition material.
- There will be a formal audition during Reg. Week*. Freshman should know all of the basic
rudiments and have a firm grasp of the cadences by this audition.
- The University of Wisconsin Drumline only uses battery percussion. We do not have pit percussion.
*Reg Week is three days of intense marching in order to teach incoming freshman proper style and technique as well as condition the upperclass. Be prepared for a work out, for the Wisconsin Band is one the most physical bands in the country.
The marching is accompanied by a music rehersal during the evenings. Reg Week is usually three days
before the first day of classes.
Other Drumline/Band Information
- The Marching Band practices from 3:45 - 5:30 tuesday through friday during the football
season. At 3pm, the percussion section meets at the S.H.E.D. to receive announcements,
to get instruments, and have a short music practice (ie. playing cadences, new music, etc.).
- The drumline has a maditory sectional from 2:30 - 3:30 every Wednesday. It is essential that you arrange your class schedule so that you are able to attend these.
- Members of the marching band have the opportunity keep playing with the Varsity Band the
spring semester. The VB practices from 3:30 - 5:30 on Wednesdays from the end of football
season through second semester and performs at basketball, hockey, and
volleyball games as well as putting on numerous shows throughout the Wisconsin area.
- The band is around 69% men and 31% women.
- Most band members are NOT music majors (about 10%)
- We generally make one or two Big 10 road trips per year in which the entire band participates.
If you would just like more general information on joining the Wisconsin Marching Band, you
can notifiy the
band by emailing
Gail Johnson at email@example.com
Indicate that you would like to recieve information on joining the marching band, and include your
- Year in school for fall 1999
OR you can do it the old way
Please write (a postcard is fine) to:
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN BANDS
4561 HUMANITIES BUILDING
455 NORTH PARK
MADISON, WI 53706
If you have any questions about the drumline or any part of the band, please feel
free to email me at
Back to Home Page