My research aims to make data processing more efficient by reconsidering how a database system interacts with current hardware. Although many datasets today can fit entirely in RAM, most commercial data management systems use memory only as a cache, and do not fully utilize the parallelism that is available in a modern multi-socket, multi-core server. My dissertation explores what performance gains a data management system can achieve if main memory becomes the primary storage medium for data.
Through a unique agreement with Microsoft, part of my dissertation research became Hekaton, a new engine for in-memory transaction processing that ships with Microsoft SQL Server 2014.
I am a graduate student in the Computer Sciences Department at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I also work in the Microsoft Jim Gray Systems Lab as a research assistant. My advisor is Jignesh M. Patel. I'm in the Database Systems and Multifacet groups. My alma mater is the Technical University of Crete, in Greece.
- Orthogonal Security with Cipherbase. Arvind Arasu, Spyros Blanas, Ken Eguro, Raghav Kaushik, Donald Kossmann, Ravi Ramamurthy, Ramaratnam Venkatesan. CIDR 2013.
- Engineering Security and Performance with Cipherbase. Arvind Arasu, Spyros Blanas, Ken Eguro, Manas Joglekar, Raghav Kaushik, Donald Kossmann, Ravi Ramamurthy, Prasang Upadhyaya, Ramarathnam Venkatesan. IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin 35(4), 2012.
- High-Performance Concurrency Control Mechanisms for Main-Memory Databases. Per-Åke Larson, Spyros Blanas, Cristian Diaconu, Craig Freedman, Jignesh M. Patel, Mike Zwilling. VLDB 2012. Addendum with proof sketches. Slides.
- Design and evaluation of main memory hash join algorithms for multi-core CPUs. Spyros Blanas, Yinan Li, Jignesh M. Patel. SIGMOD 2011. Addendum on radix join efficiency. Source code.
- On Hardware Transactional Memory, spinlocks, and database transactions. Khai Q. Tran, Spyros Blanas, Jeffrey F. Naughton. ADMS 2010.
- A comparison of join algorithms for log processing in MapReduce. Spyros Blanas, Jignesh M. Patel, Vuk Ercegovac, Jun Rao, Eugene J. Shekita, Yuanyuan Tian. SIGMOD 2010.
- Contention-based performance evaluation of multidimensional range search in peer-to-peer networks. Spyros Blanas, Vasilis Samoladas. Future Generation Computer Systems 25(1), 2009.
- GRaSP: Generalized Range Search in Peer-to-peer Networks. Michail Argyriou, Vasilis Samoladas, Spyros Blanas. Infoscale 2008.
- Contention-based performance evaluation of multidimensional range search in peer-to-peer networks. Spyros Blanas, Vasilis Samoladas. Infoscale 2007. Source code.