A core part of this class are a set of exciting semester long projects that the students develop through the semester, some of which eventually make it to the different app stores. This year's projects are:
* Grant Tracker (iOS): An app to track funds in grants. YouTube link
* Tuter: Allows students and tutors to find each other.
* Fill in my Blank: A social game that asks people to fill in best matching phrases with a twist. YouTube link
* OptiTimal: Allows users to track how they spend their own time. YouTube link
* ThinkTank: : Matches “wishes” of individual to resources that might be implementing them. YouTube link
* Trivia Time: A game to test your knowledge. YouTube link
* iSpy: An intruder alert system for your home. YouTube link
* Telesis: A game to tag each other through mobile phones. YouTube link
* Appointment Manager: Allows customers to reserve slots in salons (e.g., nail/spa, etc.). YouTube link
* E2G grant tracker (Android): Track funds in grants. YouTube link
* StreetSafe: An app to efficiently to send and view alerts related to unsafe incidents. YouTube link
* MenuDroid: An app to place food orders from restaurants. YouTube link
* Snapender: Use the phone's camera to snap a picture of interesting event announcements and push it to the calendar. Uses Microsoft Research's Hawaii toolkit. YouTube link
* MediTrack: An app to allow parent's to track baby's health stats efficiently. YouTube link
* WiscoHub: A campus-oriented Craiglist (currently for the UW-Madison campus). YouTube link
* Data Visualizer: An app to view datasets with certain relationships. YouTube link
* Memory game: An app to help evaluate the mental state of dementia patients. YouTube link
* TEL project: An app to help one prepare for actuarial exams.
* Doorstop: An app to allow TV viewers to store and share their ratings of different TV shows. YouTube link
* Engineering adviser: A mobile app that supplements the UW-Madison's Engineering advising services for students. YouTube link
* Assignment 4 announced. Due at 5pm on May 2, 2013. See Piazza post for details.
* Assignment 3 announced. Due on Apr 17 (Wed) in class.
* Mid-term II will be held on April 17.
* Assignment 2 announced. Due on Mar 22 (Fri) in class.
* Mid-term I will be held on March 18.
* Project proposal due on Feb 22 (Fri) in class. Please submit a typed version.
* Assignment 1 announced. Due on Feb 18 (11.59pm).
* We will have Friday classes each Friday in February.
* Jan 28-Feb 8 classes will be in Mumble lab and Mac lab.
* First class will be on Jan 23 (Wed). Please attend.
This course will example efficient strategies to design and implement applications and services for mobile and wireless systems with a focus on mobile phone platforms. The course will start with an overview various mobile platforms that are broadly available today (iPhone, Windows Mobile, and Android). It will be followed by a broad array of topics in developing such applications and services, that include wireless communication issues, location-based services, cloud-based design, energy consumption and efficiency issues, human-computer interaction for small form factor devices, and system integration.
The main focus of the course will be a semester-long programming project that will be done in groups of 3. Students will be required to quickly come up to speed with their programming platform, define a specific project objectives in detail, and showcase a full application by the end of the semester.
There are no required texts for this course as most of the material will be drawn from diverse articles.
Class Time MW 2.30-3.45pm, F 1-2.15pm
Room Soc Sci 5106 (MW), TBD (F)
|Instructor||Teaching Assistant 1||Teaching Assistant 2|
|Name||Suman Banerjee||Ozcan Ilikhan||Michael Griepentrog|
|Office||CS 7391||CS 1308||Mac lab|
|Office hours||4-5pm M W||T 11.30-2.30pm, F 3.30-5.30pm||T, Th, F 2.30-4pm|
Please confirm meetings by email before you show up for office hours.
Class Mailing List firstname.lastname@example.org
Final Exam TBA
Assignments will be due at the start of class on the due date. Late assignments will not be accepted, so turn in whatever you have done.
|Course Overview and Syllabus|
iOS / Android assignment 1: PDF – Due date Feb 18, 2013, 11.59pm
Assignment 2: PDF
Assignment 3: PDF – Due date Apr 17, 2013, in class.
Assignment 4: Audiocom experiments. See piazza post for details. Due on May 2, 2013 at 5pm.
|Week||Date||Topic||Reading||Background Notes||5-min speaker|
|1||Jan 23, Wed||Introduction, Warmup quiz|
|Jan 25, Fri||Introduction (cont'd)|
|2||Jan 28, Mon||iOS and Android labs|
|Jan 30, Wed||- cont'd -|
|Feb 1, Fri||- cont'd -|
|3||Feb 4, Mon||- cont'd -|
|Feb 6, Wed||- cont'd -|
|Feb 8, Fri||- cont'd -|
|4||Feb 11, Mon||Introduction, Wireless networking (+ project ideas)|
|Feb 13, Wed||Wireless networking|
|Feb 15, Fri||Teaming exercise (Helen C White)|
|5||Feb 18, Mon||Wireless networking|
|Feb 20, Wed||AppFest|
|Feb 22, Fri||Graphic design (guest lecture)|
|6 (15)||Feb 25, Mon|
|Feb 27, Wed||App analytics (Insight)|
|7||Mar 4, Mon|
|Mar 6, Wed|
|Mar 8, Fri||Mobile development (guest lecture)|
|8||Mar 11, Mon|
|Mar 13, Wed|
|9||Mar 18, Mon||Mid-term I (in class)|
|Mar 22, Fri|
| ||Spring break|
|10||Apr 1, Mon|
|(23)||Apr 3, Wed|
|11||Apr 8, Mon|
|(25)||Apr 10, Wed|
|Apr 17, Wed||Mid-term II|
|14||Apr 22, Mon|
|(27)||Apr 24, Wed|
|15||Apr 29, Mon|
|16||May 6, Mon||optional last class|