My Hobbies/Interests and Activities |
I am passionate about two things- Computer Science which I am here to explore at UW-Madison, and Music-which is my main source of relaxation. I enjoy listening to Indian music-Hindi film songs,bhajans and ghazals,Tamizh film songs and also devotional songs.I also love singing and have learnt Carnatic Classical Music(the music of Southern India) for just about a year or so.I also have taken part in some vocal contests when I was at high school.I won the first prize (at the age of 9) in my city for Carnatic Vocal at the Annual Music Competition conducted by the National Council of Women in India.My favourite singers are Alka Yagnik, Mohd. Rafi, Hariharan and Jagjit Singh.
I also like writing poetry. Being a member of the Poetry Club at BITS, Pilani gave an added impetus to my skill of writing poems. Here's a link to one of my poems!
Besides this, I also relish reading all sorts of books- have read mainly fiction till now but am quite willing to venture into non-fiction too if I have the time! My pick among authors are Agatha Christie, Dan Brown, O Henry ,Sidney Sheldon and Enid Blyton.I also do quite a bit of web-surfing and can stay glued to the computer without regard to time(I know that's bad :-((. I like exercising and am trying to get myself back into sporting activities which I was involved in a bit at high school.
Last but not the least, I love spending time with my dear family and friends. I like making new friends too but the old ones are always close to my heart as well.
- Senior Member of the Poetry Club at BITS, Pilani.We organised various contests and events related to the art of poetry during Oasis 2K4 , the Annual Cultural Fest at BITS.We also discussed interesting poems and circulated our own work for others to read and enjoy.
- Member of the Network Security Forum (NSF) at BITS, Pilani.This is a forum for learning and discussing about Network Security , the various terminologies involved and actions to be taken to strengthen security.
- Member of the National Service Scheme (NSS) at BITS, Pilani during my second year.This Department is actively involved in Social Service activities like visiting the school nearby for children of workers and helping them out with their studies, organising Blood Donation Camps and also collecting funds for charity through stalls selling arts and crafts during Oasis.
- Member of the Indian Physics Association, BITS Pilani Chapter. As a part of this association, I got to attend lectures by outstanding scientists in Physics,Electronics and related fields. We also visited the Central Electronics Engineering Research Institute( CEERI), Pilani and got to see the quality research being carried out there.
- Basketball Player at the High School level. Represented my school, DBMS, at the Inter-School basketball tournaments.