- who: Michael Swift
- where: Room 7369
- when: Wed. 2:30-3:30, Thu. 1:30-2:30
- email: swift 'at' cs.wisc.edu
- when: Tues./Thur. 11-12:15
- where: Computer Sciences 1257
- list: compsci739-1-s10 'at' lists.wisc.edu
Many of these files are under copyright so they cannot be distributed to the whole internet. As a result, access is limited to hosts on the wisc.edu network. If you want to access these files from another network, such as from home, you have two options:
- Use google to search for an accessible copy of the file
- Use WiscVPN to connect to the campus network.
- Distributed Systems Background
- Sample System
- Experience with Grapevine: The growth of a distributed system Michael D. Schroeder, Andrew Birrell, Roger M. Neednam. ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, Feb 1984.
- Web Search for a Planet: The Google Cluster Architecture. Luiz André Barroso, Jeffrey Dean and Urs Hölzle, IEEE Micro, March-April 2003.
- The Distributed V Kernel and its Performance for Diskless Workstations. D. R Cheriton and W. Zwaenepoel, Proceedings of the Ninth ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, October 10-13, 1983, pages 128-139.
Distributed Operating Systems
- Process Migration
- Transparent Process Migration: Design Alternatives and the Sprite Implementation.
Fred Douglis and John K. Ousterhout
Software - Practice and Experience, Volume 21, Number 8, 1991, Pages 757-785.
- Live Migration of Virtual Machines
Christopher Clark, Keir Fraser, and Steven Hand, University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory; Jacob Gorm Hansen and Eric Jul, University of Copenhagen; Christian Limpach, Ian Pratt, and Andrew Warfield, University of Cambridge
Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI'05), May 2005
- Processor Pools
- Request distribution
- Locality-Aware Request Distribution, Vivek Pai, Guarav Banga, ASPLOS-VIII
- Karger, D.; Sherman, A.; Berkheimer, A.; Bogstad, B.; Dhanidina, R.; Iwamoto, K.; Kim, B.; Matkins, L.; Yerushalmi, Y. (1999). "Web caching with consistent hashing". Computer Networks 31 (11): 1203–1213.
- Large-scale services
- Yoram Moses, Danny Dolev, Joseph Y. Halpern. Cheating husbands and other stories (preliminary version): a case study of knowledge, action, and communication, Proceedings of the fourth annual ACM symposium on Principles of distributed computing, 1985
- L. Lamport, Time, Clocks, and the Ordering of Events in a Distributed System, Communications of the ACM, July 1978, pages 558-564.
- L. Lamport, R. Shostak, and M. Pease, The Byzantine Generals Problem, ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, July 1982, pages 382-401.
- Practical Byzantine Fault Tolerance;Miguel Castro and Barbara Liskov,OSDI'99
- Jerome H. Saltzer and M. Frans Kaashoek, Principles of Computer System Design, Chapter 10: Consistency.
- David K. Gifford, Weighted voting for replicated data. Proceedings of the seventh ACM symposium on Operating systems principles, 1979
- Demers et al., Epidemic algorithms for replicated database maintenance, PODC 1987.
- Karin Petersen, Mike J. Spreitzer, Douglas B. Terry, Marvin M. Theimer and Alan J. Demers. Flexible update propagation for weakly consistent replication. Proceedings of the sixteenth ACM symposium on Operating systems principles, 1997.
- The Part-Time Parliament. Leslie Lamport; ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, Vol. 16, No. 2, May 1998
- Leslie Lamport. Paxos Made Simple. ACM SIGACT News (Distributed Computing Column) 32, 4 (Whole Number 121, December 2001) 51-58.
- Tushar Chandra, Robert Griesemer, and Joshua Redstone. Paxos Made Live – An Engineering Perspective. PODC '07: 26th ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, 2007.
- Dynamo: Amazon's Highly Available Key-Value. Store
Giuseppe DeCandia, Deniz Hastorun, Madan Jampani, Gunavardhan Kakulapati, Avinash Lakshman, Alex Pilchin, Swami Sivasubramanian, Peter Vosshall and Werner Vogels
Proceedings of the 21st ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, Stevenson, WA, October 2007.
- J. J. Kistler and M. Satyanarayanan, Disconnected Operation in the Coda File System, Proceedings of the Thirteenth ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, October 13-16, 1991, pages 213-225.
- E. K. Lee and C. A. Thekkath. Petal: Distributed virtual disks. In Proc. 7th Int. Conf. Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS) , pages 84--92, October 1996.
- Chandramohan Thekkath, Timothy Mann, and Edward Lee. Frangipani: A Scalable Distributed File System. Proc. of the 16th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles, October 1997, pages 224-237.
- C. Amza, A.L. Cox, S. Dwarkadas, P. Keleher, H. Lu, R. Rajamony, W. Yu, and W. Zwaenepoel, TreadMarks: Shared Memory Computing on Networks of Workstations IEEE Computer, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 18-28, February 1996.
- I. Stoica, R. Morris, D. Karger, M. F. Kaashoek, and H. Balakrishnan. Chord: A scalable peer-to-peer lookup service for internet applications. In SIGCOMM '01: Proceedings of the 2001 on Applications, technologies, architectures, and protocols for computer communications, 2001. ACM.
- Brian Hayes. Cloud Computing. Communications of the ACM, Volume 51, Issue 7 (July 2008). Pages 9-11.
- Michael Armbrust, Armando Fox, Rean Griffith, Anthony D. Joseph, Randy H. Katz, Andrew Konwinski, Gunho Lee, David A. Patterson, Ariel Rabkin, Ion Stoica and Matei Zaharia. Above the Clouds: A Berkeley View of Cloud Computing. EECS Department
University of California, Berkeley
Technical Report No. UCB/EECS-2009-28
February 10, 2009
- Luiz André Barroso and Urs Hölzle. The Datacenter as a Computer: An Introduction to the Design of Warehouse-Scale Machines. Synthesis Lectures on Computer Architecture, Morgan & Claypool Publishers, 2009.
Data Manipulation Models
- MapReduce: Simplified Data Processing on Large Clusters.
Jeffrey Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat
- MapReduce and parallel DBMSs: friends or foes? Michael Stonebraker, Daniel Abadi, David J. DeWitt, Sam Madden, Erik Paulson, Andrew Pavlo, Alexander Rasin. Communications of the ACM, Volume 53 , Issue 1 (January 2010), Pages: 64-71.
- MapReduce: a flexible data processing tool Jeffrey Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat. Communications of the ACM, Volume 53 , Issue 1 (January 2010). Pages: 72-77.
- DryadLINQ: A System for General-Purpose Distributed Data-Parallel Computing Using a High-Level Language Yuan Yu, Michael Isard, Dennis Fetterly, Mihai Budiu, Ulfar Erlingsson, Pradeep Kumar Gunda, and Jon Currey. Symposium on Operating System Design and Implementation (OSDI), San Diego, CA, December 8-10, 2008.