Questions on Deng/VietNam-Cambodge/(F)SU-Afganistan

Hi friends,

When deng XiaoPing died (sorry if I write his name wrongly), a Dutch
journalist wrote in his article in the NRC Handelblad,a serious newspaper
in the Netherlands, the following (freely translated from Dutch):

"... Militarily was the Chinese invasion against Vietnam in 1979 a
failure. Now it appeared to be, on second thoughts, a good foresight. It
made the way free for cooperation with the West in order to hold up the
soviet neo-expansionism  by isolating Vietnam and the (former) Soviet
Union. This well-thought-out policy had led to the forced withdrawal of
the Vietnamese troop from Kampuchea and the Red Army from Afghanistan
later ..."

Occasionally I have seen almost the same views in an article published in
Singapore and forwarded to this VNSA-L some days ago.

So I wonder if it is true.

Until now I had a naive idea that the Chinese 1979 invasion was a furious
reaction on what happened in Cambodia, because of the aliance between
China and the Polpot's regime. That idea came maybe from the propagande
at Vietnamese school that time (I was an eighth-class schoolboy). Maybe
it came Deng's words about "giving Vietnam a lesson".

As I remember, the Red Army entered Afghanistan in April 1979 as
school-children we have to learn a song, which sounds: "Cu`ng ca^'t cao
tie^'ng ha't mu+`ng ca'ch ma.ng tha'ng Tu+, cu`ng ca^'t cao tie^'ng ha't
mu+`ng ne^`n da^n chu? co^.ng hoa`...")

I can imagine that the Soviet invasion in Afghanistan had something to do
with the Soviet expansionism under Brejeniev. But has Deng invaded
Vietnam just to promote cooperation with the West in order to resist the
Soviets?

I am struggling with another question: did Hanoi's invasion in Cambodia
fit in with Soviet geopolitical ambitions? To my naive political consent,
the invasion was a matter of necessity. I still remember how innocent
habitants of the south-western border provinces, including children, have
been murdered in the most horrible way. I still remember the animal
misbehaviour of Polpot's soldiers with Vietnamese women and young girls.
And who can forget that a lot of young Vietnamese people (li'nh nghi~a
vu. quan su) has been killed during the border war 1976-1979?

I discuss quite often about Vietnamese history and politics with
foreigners (some of them are active in journalistics and politics).
During such talks, when it goes on the Vietnam's invasion of Cambodia in
1979, I'm still trying to defend Vietnam. It is not because of some kind
of blind nationalism, but because I really believe Vietnam didn't have
another choice under the then circumtances.

Yes. I did heard about the ambition of then Vietnamese leaders to create
something like "Union of Indochina" joining Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. I
have no doubt abou the soviet ambitious expansionism. And, I often asked
myself whether the Vietnamese army had to stay so long in Cambodia to be
"sa la^`y" over there.

So, for wich reason had the Vietnamese leaders invaded Cambodia 1). Just
to follow the order from theirSoviet "quantha^`y", or 2).To end the
genocide in Cambodia and, meanwhile, to move the war from the
Vietnam-Cambodia borders to the Cambodia-Thailand ones (less civilian
loss)?, or on both reasons?

Did Deng invade Vietnam just to prevent farther sovietization of Aia and
to ensure "a stable and peaceful atmosphere for economical development
in South-East Asia"?

Can you, friends, give me more background information or your
consideration on the three invasions (VN-Cambodia, China-VN, and
SU-Afghanistan)? What do you think about the "well-thought-out" policy of
Deng?

Thanks in advance!

Buu-Long.

PS.1/. There was a forwarded article on this list last week about the
motivation of Deng to invade Vietnam. As I remember, the author wrote
that one of the main reason was Deng's need in strengthening his
position as new China leader. Unfortunately I was failed to save that
article. I would appreciate it very much if someone of you could forward
it to me. Thanks!

2/. My apologies to the Admin if the subjects I highlighted here fall
under the taboo ones.