Re: PBS, NPR, etc

Hi Anh Ian, the main machine here at my department is down again, and I'm
using Son's. You are asking good questions right at the busiest time for DHS
(midterms or quarter-ending exams) :-). I guess that's why you have seen few

> Just wondering if any DHS in the U.S. ever listen
> to or watch any shows on Public Television (PBS) or
> Public Radio (NPR & PRI) If you haven't then I would
> strongly recommend it. These stations differ remarkably
> from the network and commercial media such as CNN.

Yes, I used to watch PBS. Unfortunately not anymore because I don't have
time. I like "Nature", "Nova", "Frontline", just to name a few.
Among them "Frontline" is the most interesting. I second your
recommendation. PBS does have a lot of very good programs.

I like in-depth analysis stuff too, but never have the time :-(.

The "Masterpiece Theatre" stuff is interesting. I used to watch
it to entertain myself on the strange British accent. Then last summer
I was in Scotland and England and found out people there actually
speak like that in real life, not only in Masterpiece. :-)

I wonder why PBS has only British films, why don't they show films of
other nations (France, Germany, Russia, China, Vietnam, etc) as well?

NPR is also warmly recommended. NPR programs vary depending on the place
you live, I think. Here in Seattle, I especially like the Blues Program
every Saturday and Sunday nights. If I am at home, I never miss it
(to be enjoyed with full volume and beer, of course). "Jazz after Hours"
is usually played after midnight and is also a great program.

If you are driving, however, I think classical music would be the best.
Here in Seattle we have a classical music station at 98.?; but you would
find similar stations at your place.

Best, Hai.