Re: [Art] Survey on VN contemporary art

> Hi, anyone here interested in paintings? Over the past several years,
> contemporary Vietnamese painting has had a meteoric rise from near obscurity
> to a position commanding considerable attention from the international art
> world.  The New York Times (an influential national newspaper in the US) and
> many other art magazines have devoted large sections to introducing
> contemporary Vietnamese painting, which is hailed for its deft combination
> of Western painting techniques and Asian themes, and bold experiments with
> abstract and sexually-charged painting, among other things.
>
> The latest "kid on the block" is "Asian Art News", which is headquartered
> in Hongkong but is available all over the world. In its latest
> March/April issue, it devotes over 30 pages (one third of the magazine)
> to a survey on contemporary Vietnamese Art, focusing on painting and
> photography. The survey is quite comprehensive and interesting, with a
> lot of illustrations. The pictures accompanying the article on photography
> are stunning...
>
> If you are interested in contemporary Vietnamese art, don't miss this survey.
> Check your local newspaper store for this issue. I will post a summary of the
> articles later if I have time.
>
> Cheers, Hai.

Hi all art lovers,
Could anyone give me some good website covering comprehensively
Vietnamese art? (Comtemporary/traditional and not only paitings
but also scuptures and architecture...) And the website of the
mentioned "Asian Art News" journal. Thanks a lot.

BTW, I particularly like surrealism. Works such as Dali's
famous paiting "The persistence of memory " is the typical.
Works by Joan Miro should also be mentioned with his notorous
"The painting" being a striking example of the biomorphic
abstraction style.
I also love the early fascinating dreamy style of De Chirico
with "the mystery and melancholy of the street", which is
said to influence a great deal on Dali's "The persistence".
De Chirico is not a surrealist, though.

I hope to learn more from your perspectives of those artists.
Many of the ideas of those paintings are not very well explained
to me, but yet they really seem to fit my taste.
Cheers,
	Long.