Singaporeans surprised by Viet youths' commitment to their country

Singapore Straits Times, June 5, 1997

Viet youths' commitment to their country praised

VIETNAMESE youths have a common cause to spur them to achieve success as a
nation, something that Singaporeans should take note of, Mr R.
Sinnakaruppan (Kreta Ayer-Tanglin GRC) said.

He said that during a recent visit to Vietnam, he met a number of youths
who impressed him very much because all of them seemed to have a common
national crusade.

He said: "They want to succeed economically, not just as individuals, but
also collectively as a nation. And that is what is most striking."

He related these encounters to emphasise the need for young Singaporeans
to rally behind the Government to face the national challenges ahead.

For example, he said a final-year undergraduate whom he spoke to said he
wanted to start his own business even though a big company had already
offered him a job.

When asked why starting a business was more important, the youth replied
that if he had his own business, he would have the determination to see it
succeed so that he and his family would be better off.

He also told Mr Sinnakaruppan: "Just as importantly, I will be able to
create jobs for my fellow Vietnamese and if I make good money, I can
contribute to the Vietnamese national projects through the corporate tax
that I will have to pay."

Mr Sinnakaruppan added that he later found out from other Singaporeans
that there were many other young Vietnamese who expressed similar
sentiments.

Lauding their commitment to the country, he noted: "Many youths across the
country had volunteered themselves to help build the all important
North-South highway in Vietnam.

"I am not sure if we get that kind of commitment from our youths if we
want to extend the CTE or PIE."