Re: VN news (July 26)

I whish every top leader of our country thinks like Nguyen Van Linh. I hate
attitude of US and totally agree with his words
"...The question is not to beg to the foreign capitalists, but to manage
and work out policies which are more beneficial to the domestic economy...",
which is an exept from below

>A former top leader of the Vietnamese Communist Party, Nguyen Van Linh,
>has called for equality in relations between Vietnam and the United States,
>a local newspaper reported Saturday.
>
>"International relations among countries, major and small alike, in the
>world must be equal," Linh said in an article in the Saigon Giai Phong,
>a party paper published in Ho Chi Minh City.
>
>Linh, who as party general secretary initiated in 1986 a policy of broadening
>relations between Vietnam and capitalist countries, cited the accounting
>for American soldiers listed as missing in action (MIA) during the Vietnam
>War as a prominent case of inequality. He stepped down as the country's
>top leader in 1991 and has since been working as an adviser to the party.
>
>"The Vietnamese government...lets the U.S. comb any place where its troops
>were stationed while Vietnamese war veterans have to join their efforts
>in the search for the remains of their comrades in arm," Linh said.
>
>The Vietnam War, which lasted form 1961 to 1975, took the lives of about
>58,000 Americans and more than three million Vietnamese. The U.S. still
>has more than 1,500 MIAs in Vietnam.
>
>Linh also said the U.S. had not given any clear reply to Hanoi's request
>for help for Vietnamese people who suffered from toxic chemicals sprayed
>by U.S. forces.
>
>"They promised to pay more than 3 billion dollars, and have for more
>than 20 years now not paid a single cent but demand that we pay the debts
>they provided to the Saigon government to fight against our people,"
>Linh said.
>
>The party official also said the U.S. brings more consumer goods than
>technology and investment to Vietnam.
>
>"The question is not to beg to the foreign capitalists, but to manage
>and work out policies which are more beneficial to the domestic economy,"
>Linh said.
>
>"I hope that in the time to come, Vietnam will look for every measure
>to make our international relations equal," the party adviser said.

Tran thai Dang
Ehime University
Tel: (089)-927-9818

Home Tel/Fax: (089)-932-3182