Election result & applied statistics

Dear friends,

>AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE in Hanoi
>The communists won 85 per cent, or 384 out of 450 seats, in the
>July 20 National Assembly elections, results released by Vu Mao,
>chairman of the assembly's office, show.

Wow! If I remember correctly, before the election the NA did a survey
which indicated that 85% would vote Communists. At the time, I cautioned
about the possible scientific pitfalls of the methodologies of such
a survey. Nevertheless, the result from the survey is actually spot on (*).
A great triumph for applied statistics! Applied statisticians and
election poll makers worldwide: take note.

Huy

(*) assuming that the population and the political affiliation
of the candidates are distributed uniformly over the constituencies.