Projects I'm Working On
- Working on Condor, a
batch system for running and checkpointing jobs on a pool of
workstations. The Condor team is headed by Miron Livny of the
UW Computer Science department
in Madison, WI.
- Working part-time for the Scientific Data Management
Research and Development group, which is part of the National Energy Research
Scientific Computing Center (NERSC), housed at Lawrence Berkeley National Labs (LBNL) in
- Building the International Socialist
- Selling Socialist Worker Newspaper
- Building United Faculty and Academic Staff
(UFAS), American Federation of Teachers (AFT) Local 223.
- Studying Indian Classical music with Ustad Ali Akbar Khan at the
Ali Akbar College of Music in San
- Expanding, improving, and performing with SalaamAxe ("sah-lahm-ah-shey"), my Middle
Eastern/Brazilian fusion band.
- Directing and organizing Bateria Lucha, a group of
musicians to play percussion music (mostly Brazilian, with some Middle
Eastern and Indian influences as well). We mostly perform at anti-war
marches and other political events in the Bay Area, but we've also
played some gigs at clubs and private parties. Much of what I know
about Brazilian percussion I learned from Robert Schoville, my old
house-mate in Madison, and the group we had together called The Handphibians. They're
still playing in Madison, WI.
- Playing acoustic bass, the ud (a Middle Eastern, fretless lute),
the saz (a Middle Eastern, long-necked fretted lute), the yayli
tambour (an even longer-necked Middle Eastern fretted lute), and a
host of other random stringed instruments from around the world.
- Maintaining a bunch of email lists at www.yahoogroups.com, and
handling some mail via mail.yahoo.com