(Solutions are not available any more. Sorry!)
Both exams are closed book and closed notes.
- Midterm (25%). T 10/24 11:05 a.m. - 12:35 p.m. (in class). Solutions
- Final (30%). M 12/18 12:25 p.m. - 2:25 p.m.
- The points distribution for final grades is as follows: homeworks
(45%), midterm (25%), final (30%), class participation (3% bonus).
- There will be two long (1 & 2) and seven short (3a - 6a) graded
homeworks. The long homeworks are worth twice as much (roughly 8
points each) as the short homeworks (roughly 4 points each).
- Lateness policy. Each homework is due at the beginning of
the lecture on the due date. Each student is allowed to submit
one homework up to two days late with prior permission of the
instructor and will receive up to 50% credit for the late
submission. Solutions to homeworks will be posted promptly on the due
date. Students submitting their homework late are allowed to look at
the solutions, but must understand them and write them out on their
own. In cases of doubt, the student may be asked to present his/her
solution orally to the instructor or TA.
- Class participation. We expect all students to participate
in the discussions in class and ask questions. Bonus marks (up to 3%)
will be awarded at the discretion of the instructor to students who
participate constructively in class.