Charles R. Dyer
Emeritus Professor of Computer Sciences and
Biostatistics and Medical Informatics
Computer vision, image analysis
- "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not;
nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not;
un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full
of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
-- Calvin Coolidge
- "Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into an exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more."
-- Steve Prefontaine
- "You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved."
-- Ansel Adams
- "There is a real magic in enthusiasm. It spells the difference between mediocrity and accomplishment."
-- Norman Vincent Peale
- "Keep the circus going inside you, keep it going, don't take anything too seriously, it'll all work out in the end."
-- David Niven
- "In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills. Thus, happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it but to delight in it when it comes. And to add to other people's store of it."
-- Charles Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby (1839)
- "Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
-- Ben Franklin
My Former Self
- Madison Half-Marathon: 1:34:12 (2009)
- Crazylegs 8K: 33:20 (2009)
- Chicago Marathon: 3:28:59 (2008)
- Prato, Italy Half-Marathon: 1:35:02 (2005)
- Madison Syttende Mai: 2:02:18 (1986)
- Boston Marathon: 2:41:11 (1978)
- 2 Mile: 9:23 (1969)
- Mile: 4:22 (1969)