Charles R. Dyer
Professor of Computer Sciences and
Biostatistics and Medical Informatics
Computer vision, image analysis
- "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not;
nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not;
un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full
of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
-- Calvin Coolidge
- "Most people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into an exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more."
-- Steve Prefontaine
- "It never got fast enough for me."
-- Hunter S. Thompson
- "Keep the circus going inside you, keep it going, don't take anything too seriously, it'll all work out in the end."
-- David Niven
- Ben Franklin's Lessons
"Well done is better than well said."
"Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today."
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."
"When you're finished changing, you're finished."
"All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move."
"Never confuse motion with action."
"Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out."
"To succeed, jump as quickly at opportunities as you do at conclusions."
"Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man."
"Diligence is the mother of good luck."
"There are three things extremely hard: steel, a diamond, and to know one's self."
"Who had deceived thee so often as thyself?"
"Energy and persistence conquer all things."
"Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late."
My Former Self
- Madison Half-Marathon: 1:34:12 (2009)
- Crazylegs 8K: 33:20 (2009)
- Chicago Marathon: 3:28:59 (2008)
- Prato, Italy Half-Marathon: 1:35:02 (2005)
- Madison Syttende Mai: 2:02:18 (1986)
- Boston Marathon: 2:41:11 (1978)
- 2 Mile: 9:23 (1969)
- Mile: 4:22 (1969)