Paper Reviews and Class Participation
Students are expected to have completed the assigned readings before
attending class and actively participate in discussions.
To facilitate great class discussions, students must submit an email
review of selected papers 11:00am before the lecture for
which the paper is assigned.
Late reviews will not be accepted and the time
is based on when the email is received, not sent.
I encourage students are encouraged to form study groups to discuss
the papers before writing their reviews,
but each student must write their own independent review.
Reviews should be emailed to Prof. Mark Hill () with:
- Subject: [CS/ECE 757] Review of Author1 Year
(e.g., [CS/ECE 757] Review of Kongetira 2005)
- The ASCII body of the message (NOT an attachment; NOT HTML) should
be 20 to 40 lines (maximum 3200 characters) with:
- a short summary of the problem the paper attacks and methods used (if any),
- a short summary of the paper's results or key implications, and
- your opinion about what's good and bad about the paper (this is key).
Follow instructions exactly so that email filters do not lose your review.
Reviews will be graded on a scale of Excellent (10 points), Satisfactory (7
points), and Unsatisfactory (3 points). Most reviews will get a 7.
Reviews that are too long will
automatically receive an Unsatisfactory grade.
Reviews will be graded by sampling rather than grading each review turned in.
The purpose here is to get students to read (and discuss)
papers before they are discussed in class.
Review schedule is on lecture page.