Re: "Cachiusa" in "The deer hunter" / Once upon a time in America

Jo, thanks ba'c Frank Nguyen, for recommending "Once upon a time in
America". It was a very good film. I particularly like the music.
Robert de Niro was great, he is always good with gangster roles.

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Nguyen Tuan Trung wrote:

> As far as I remember some of the four characters in the film were from
> families of Russian immigrants, that's why they sang Katiusha.

Hi Trung. Great, thanks for the info. Now I partially understand why
there is that song in the film.

> BTW, I remember the vietnamese translation of the title what "Nhu+~ng
> ngu+o+`i sa(n hu+o+u", the^' ne^n to^i mo+'i tha('c ma('c kho^ng hie^?u
> tie^'ng Anh co' pha^n bie^.t hu+o+u voi+'i nai kho^ng nhi? :-)

I think there are many different translations of the title into
Vietnamese. I like "Ngu+o+`i sa(n nai" the best. The title "Ngu+o+`i sa(n
hu+o+u" phonetically doesn't sound good, and projects the guy to be kind
of brutal and cruel :-). "Nhu+~ng ngu+o+`i sa(n hu+o+u" seems to be
too wordy. (Just matter of taste, I guess :-))

I think English does have seperate names for hu+o+u, sao, and nai; but
don't know them.

I told my ex-advisor that hu+o+u was extremely expensive in Vietnam because
of nhung hu+o+u, which is a great thuo^'c bo^?. He looked extremely
skeptical. Heard he is now going to VN. May he happen to drink some ru+o+.u
nhung hu+o+u by accident and get extremely fat, and have mu.n nho.t mo.c lung
tung, da nu+'t ne?. Then he will no longer be skeptical. :-)

Cheers, Hai.