Re: [Economics]- [Opinion]- A journal ....

Hi Anh Chau and Anh Le Cong Tru an La^m and ca'c anh kha'c!

first, I would like to say sorry for not answering during the last few
days. I don't have a modem at home and my house is 80km from the
university.

I am so glad to hear from you. Followings are my discussion.

1. About the list, I think we have to get somebody who can be the

organise the list and someone can control its quality and discussion. It

would be great if we can invite some experienced persons. Ca'c anh co'

the^? la`m kho^ng? I am willing to do jobs like translating, find good

articles,...However, to be honest, I only know how to raise my voice. I

am still too young and inexperieced (so please don't call me "Anh" as it

would make me embarrassed. :-) ), therefore I am quite reluctant to say
anything big. Last time I saw some Economic people in our list. Can we

gather those people? (it seems to me there is one professor of Economics

in this list? is that correct? )

2. About the translation, I am thinking of translating these textbooks.

	The first one is: "Introductory Econometrics" by Maddala. So far, as I

know, it is one of the best textbook in Econometrics for undergraduate.

I also have the Guidebook to use ET software. We can translate it as

well. However, I really wish that we can put some Vietnamese stuff in

this? (or should we just translate the origin and for later when the

financial resources can be found we will extend it?)

	2. "Economic Development" by Michadel Todaro. It is the best seller in

textbook for economic development. The book is very easy to understand

even by layman. No deep technical knowledge is required to study this

textbook. In fact, the knowledge required is elementary knowledge of

economicc. It would be great if we can publish this one in Vietnamese.

However, for this textbook, I think we do need to modify and replace the

case study by the Vietnamese one. At the moment I have quite a number of

case study in Vietnamese context which I think are quite useful for case

study. For this book, I can start with you in anytime ( although, I am

so busy now, at the same time study, at the same time work to survive -

I am not scholarship student at the moment :-)).

3. About the translating plan, Each of us can translate each part of the

books ( I have loved translating since I was a kid, at that time, only

the love poems for .... :-), how the hell am I going to translate those

dry textbooks? ) After we can email the translation to each other to

edit and improve it. (Next month I will have a modem so it would be more

convenient for me. At the moment I am still using the Uni's computer,

that's why I only can participate in the list twice a week).

After finsihing the whole origin, we can consider the possibility of

putting some Vietnamese cases study in.

4. About printing, if the book is to be publishable I think we should
print them in Vietnam to lower the cost. We can find contact later.

5. Some more suggested textbooks.

	3. "Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics" by Alpha Chiang.

Textbooks in Mathematical Economics in Vietnam are abudant. However, I

have to say that, they are not written  SYSTEMMATICALLY. I have read

some textbooks in Vietnamse, they are vey simplistic and unstructured.

Sometimes, the focus is on mathematics INSTEAD of ECONOMIC application.

As the results, Vietnamese students can be very good at mathematical

techniques but (it is my own view) when come to practical situations,

they are lost.

	4. Some textbooks on game theory and application in economic modelling.

Again, we lack of economic application in Vietnamese textbooks.

Furthermore, no body bothers to do such "phi' tho+`i gian" thing like

translating those think books. However, in my own view, an understanding

of game theory in analysing economic issues is extremely important for

Vietnamese students. I also wish we can find the way to create some

computer simulation for game theory (there are many softwares for this,

however, they are again all writen in English and not all students in

Vietnam are really good at English). I think our computer science people

in this list can help. :-)

	5. Some selected readings in various issues like political economy,

market economy and its consequences, etc. The purpose of those reading

is to give student an broad overview of economic issues. Many Vietnamese

students not studying abroad lack those knowledge. They only receive

information one side and therefore can not give fair and scientific

judgments. Those readings should be made simple and general.

I myself don't really support the view of introducing too technical

books in Economics in Vietnam before introducing elementary and

intermediate books (i.e. mathematical proof of general equilibrium, too

advance microeconomic techniques,..). I think what Vietnamese students

lack is good introductory textbooks and general knowledge in economics.

6. There are many second hand books in Economics which can be bought at

very cheap prices. Next year when I go back to Vietnam, I will buy some

for the National Economics University. What if each of us contributes to

the Economics library in Vietnam. Although those books are quite old,

they are still very helpful for Vietnamese students.

Above is my discussion. What do you think? Please discuss,

Cheers

PS: as I said above I have to use the computer of the uni. so I am

sorry  If I have to reply late. :-)

Nguyen Toan.

Hi anh Toan, yes I am in. I am willing to participate in any activities

that can help to bring some economics knowledge that we learn here to

our

Vietnamese student. Especially, I am interesting in translating or at

least prepare a lecture note for an undergaduate course in econometrics.

I also have a few good statistical/econometric softwares that can be

good

instructional means to teach econometrics in Vietnam. So far, as I know,

not many schools teach econometrics in Vietnam. It is a good idea to

develop a different conception about econometrics for our student back

home because it is an intergrated part of market economics.

Regarding the journal, I think we can start it small, then finance

support will come if we have a good working objectives. We can ask for

funding from international organizations or even from our own

governement. The most important thing is to find people who are willing

to participate.

Cheers

Cong Tru Le

Cornell Univ

Dear anh Toan,

> am willing to participate. So what are your plans?

>       Toan Nguyen.

I am glad to hear that. I think first, we have to find a site and

establish a mailing list. If ca'c ba'c admin of VNSA have the

benelovent to offer a kind of sub-email list, it would be great.

For now, we can discuss around some "hot" topics in order to generate

participation and interests. Re-examining the question

of poverty and development in the World Bank report on the case of

Vietnam

could be a good one. Unfortunately, I will not be able to participate

any

discussion until the end of June due to some personal reasons. During

that time, I hope that there will be lots of interesting discussions.

Cheers,

Chau