Re: [TT 29/5 Pho'ng su+.: Cha^'t ddo^.c ma`u da cam - sau 20

At 04:51 PM 6/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
>HI ca'c ba'c ngu+o+`i My~ tre^n VNSA,
>    Co' le~ ca'c ba'c ne^n co' y' kie^'n vo+'i cha'nh phu? MY~ ve^`
>vie^.c dde^? ma('t to+'i chuye^.n na`y la.i hi?.
>
>Thanks
>Aiviet

Hello friends,

        I must say that I am quite moved after reading the
story of Mr Lo+'p and the presumed effect of agent orange
on his family's tragedy. This is, I believe, only one of
many thousands or perhaps hundred of thousands UNTOLD
stories about the deadly effects of agent orange in
Vietnam.

	It has been shown in numeral epidemiological studies
that there is a causal linkage between agent orange and
birth defect (which Mr Lo+'p had suffered enomously),
cancer and a dozen of other medical conditions. If any of
you are in doubt, just read the report of National Academy
of Science (USA) on "Veterans and Agent Orange Update
1996". In fact, the centre for Disease Control (CDC) have
an on-going documentation of the effects of agent orange
among the American Vietnam veterans. The Australian
government also spent million of dollars to study the
effects among their soldiers. While the American and
Australian governments support such a research and
documentation, the Vietnamese government appears to have
modest concern for the research into its effects among the
Vietnamese soldiers. Indeed, I found that most of the
research on agent orange in VN were carried out by
foreigners.

	I believe that it is time to establish a central
registry to systematically document the effects of agent
orange (similar the one in CDC) among not just former
soldiers, but also the general population which was exposed
to the agent during the war.

	When I visited VN in 1993, I talked to a number of
people at the School of Medicine (HCMC) about this idea,
and to my disappointment, they were polite to mention but
were not interested. Perhaps, they had other urgent issues
to attend.

	Is there any doctor or epidemiologist or statistician
in this list concerned about this isssue? How can we go
about to set up such a registry? Which governmental body
should we lobby? etc. I can certainly volunteer to give
advice and campaign for funding from the Australian
government.

	Tuan (Australia)