---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 12:45:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: AnHai Doan <anhai@peony.cs.washington.edu>

On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, XXX wrote:

> > I heard that you might come over here for internship or something.
> > That would be great. Actually from what I heard you are having a pretty
> > good chance of getting over here. Wonderful.
>
> You are very informative, just not enough!!!:-) I might go to US, but it
> seems things are very difficult now and I may not have luck. I have I-20AB
> form from XXX, but my application form for entry visa was
> refused, because of a stupid reason, at least I think why the interviewer
> could tell me such a stupid reason, that I was refused because I have not
> visited VN for 10 years. He recommended me to go home to apply for visa. I
> don't know whether there is such an American law saying foreigners must
> apply for entry visa in their homeland or not??? So, as you see I am in a
> difficult situation now, and it seems no one can help me. I would like to
> fly to XXX from my current school, I don't have money, nor time to go
> home now and who knows what will happen in VN. I have your understanding???

Hey, XXX, nice to hear from you. Relax, what you have experienced with your
visa stuff is just normal. I got mine refused also. You will need to go home
to get the visa, I suppose. But there are ways around it.  You could talk
with Judy. Ask if she can help to have the US embassy in Hanoi approved your
visa, then pick it up at the US Embassy closest to your school.

The other thing is that, if you really need to go home, and are short of
money (which I perfectly understand given the current student stipend at your
place), we could organize a drive on vnsa to collect money for you, which is
of course, a loan only. You can return the money once you are in the US. We
can try and see how this works. Contacting Judy is the right thing to do
at the moment.

I am very busy now, up to next weekend. But what you are experiencing is
normal, and so don't worry. I believe Judy, me, and other folks can help
you. Could you please keep me informed on this, and what you want to do?
We will be able to help. Getting the visa in hanoi is not difficult.

Let me know what you think.
Best, Hai.