Re: Modelling in CS and Physics

   Hello anh AiViet,

--- Aiviet Nguyen <aiviet2@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Ut Say,
>
>    I want to see the patterns derived from some general principles. To
> me, the patterns of the gang of four are beautiful but we can wonder
> why we should use these subjective patterns but not others.

   The book provides some sort of analysis, to help the designer in
choosing the patterns. Let's say if an application has a set of
requirement criteria and one or more patterns able to fulfill; then the
patterns' consequences should be consider to narrow down the selections.
If it boils down that more than one can do the job then performance and
resource (through profiling) should be applied to select the "correct"
one.

>   Concerning objectification: you have a C code without any objects
> defined ( not OOD). You want to translate it to a C++. Actually you
> cannot do it automatically. You have to study the application again and
> design new objects and rewrite almost all the codes ( I know you can
> use a wrapper technique to simplify the task a little bit). How to
> automate this process is still a challenge.

   Agreed. But this applies to any programming languages, not just C ->
C++. The challenge is to represent two solutions, one as linear structural
and another as object oriented implementation. Now, if we do have the
solution in linear structural implementation (as C code), the question is
how can we presentation that same application in object oriented paradigm.

>    I want to see a translator that convert a C code into a OOD C++
> codes. However, I think we need more input than just the C code. The
> question is what is the  additional input we need to convert C codes
> into OOD C++ codes.

   IMHO, that there is very little "information" to do this kind of
translation successfully. The biggest problem still remain in how can we
exactly describe/represent the problem as the input, so that we can devise
a program to generate the solution as output.

   All of these OO models & diagrams (UML, ER...) did come to help, but
unfortunately these only address the "output" (implementation) part of the
problem and not to depict the problem itself.

> I hope my question is clear now.

   Yes, and I hope that I am talking at the same topic :)

   Cheers,
   UtSay
---