- SimpleScalar Simulator:
- GEMS - General Execution-driven Multiprocessor Simulator (GEMS), based on Simics
- SimOS - full system simulator
- Simics - full system simulator
- Bochs - Open-source IA-32 Full System Emulator Project
- ATL CSIM - General purpose high level computer architecture simulator, C-based with graphics
- ML-RSIM - Detailed execution-driven simulator running a Unix-compatible operating system
- Dinero IV - trace-driven uniprocessor cache simulator
- WARTS - Wisconsin Architectural Research Tool Set
- WWT2 - Wisconsin Wind Tunnel II - multiprocessor simulator
- EEL - an Executable Editing Library
- QPT2 - a program profiling and tracing tool
- RSIM - Rice Simulator for ILP Multiprocessors
- SIMCA - the SImulator for Multithreaded Computer Architecture
- SimplePower - execution-driven datapath energy estimation tool based on SimpleScalar
- AMD's x86-64 simulator
- LDA-Simulator Flexible Memory-Hierarchy Simulator, LDA stands for Latency-of-Data-Access Model
- ABSS - SPARC multiprocessor simulator
- HASE - a Hierarchical computer Architecture design and Simulation Environment developed at the University of Edinburgh to support both research (e.g. performance evaluation of computing systems) and teaching (e.g the visualisation of activities taking place inside computers as they execute programs). Several simulation models are available to download for use in teaching.
- Shade - instruction-set simulator and custom trace generator new site
- MINT - (MIPS INTerpreter) is a fast program-driven simulator for multiprocessor systems
- Augmint - multiprocessor tracing-simulation tool, based on MINT
- PRIMA cache simulator - for studying prefetching and cache performance in multimedia and image-based applications
- SMPCache - Simulator for Cache MemorySystems on Symmetric Multiprocessors - SMPCache provides an educational tool for examining cache design issues for symmetric multiprocessor. It is a portable software package that runs on PC systems with Windows. It is available at no cost for noncommercial use.
- WinMIPS64 - a MIPS 64-bit pipeline simulator - A MIPS-64 simulator, replacement for WinDLX
- TurboSMARTSim - Fast and accurate timing simulation through rigorous statistical sampling and live-points
- Flexus 2.0 (simflex) - Component-based full-system multiprocessor in-order/out-of-order simulation infrastructure; extends Simics; 2.0 release enhances speed, adds directory-based coherence components
- Flexus-VFI - a version of the Flexus CMPFlex.OoO chip-multiprocesor simulator. It extends CMPFlex.OoO to model voltage/frequency island based systems in which cores and cache banks can all be run at varying frequencies. It also adds dynamic and static power modeling, thermal modeling, and dynamic voltage/frequency scaling.
- SimCore - SimCore is a project name to provide computer architecture core tools including processorsimulators. (We have developed SimCore/Alpha Functional Simulator for research and education activities. Its design policy is to keep the source code readable (enjoyable and easy to read ) and simple. SimCore/Alpha Functional Simulator is an Alpha-AXP processor functional simulator written in C++.)
- SID - Red Hat's SID framework for building computer system simulations
- LSE - A high-level processor modeling system supporting component reuse and a library of predefined flexible model components. Models are automatically compiled into executable simulators.
- IATO (IA64 Toolkit) - IATO, the IAOO Toolkit is a flexible environment that permits to analyze, emulate or simulate the IA64 Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) binary executables. IATO is a flexible and portable framework that is built around a set of C++ libraries and clients. The fundamental clients are the IA64 emulator+and simulators. Other clients provides supports for program analysis and statistical computation.
- NePSim - A Network Processor Simulator with Power Evaluation Framework. NePSim is the first open source integrated infrastructure for analyzing and optimizing NP design and power dissipation at architecture-level. NePSim contains a cycle-accurate simulator for a typical NP architecture (Intel's IXP1200), an automatic verification framework for testing and validation, and a power estimation model for measuring the power consumption of the simulated NP. NePSim achieves satisfactory accuracy in both performance and power modeling.
- PDIWeb - Web Simulator for Instruction Dynamic Scheduling (of the Pipelining). Following the concepts explained in the textbook \223Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach\224, 3rd edition, 2003, Morgan Kaufmann (by Hennessy & Patterson)
- SESC - A fast architectural simulator for CMPs with out-of-order processors.
- PTLsim - PTLsim is a cycle accurate out of order microprocessor simulator and virtual machine for the x86 and x86-64 instruction sets. PTLsim models a modern speculative out of order x86-64 compatible processor core, cache hierarchy and supporting hardware.
- Full-System Simulator for IBM PowerPC 970 - Execution-driven, full-system simulator for PowerPC 970. It enables development teams both within and outside IBM to simulate a PowerPC 970 system in order to develop and enhance application support for this platform.
- M-Sim Version 3.0 - A multi-threaded extension to the SimpleScalar simulator.
- M5 - A modular platform for computer system architecture research, encompassing system-level architecture as well as processor microarchitecture. Supports Alpha, SPARC, MIPS, and ARM ISAs, with x86 support in progress.
- QEMU - Full system and user-mode simulator, with accelerators for simulating and executing on the same ISA.
- UNIted SIMulation - Structural simulation
- EduMIPS64 - MIPS64 ISA simulator written in Java/Swing
- Noxim - SystemC-based Network-on-Chip simulator
- Sunflower - Full-system simulator for embedded systems
- FAME - Fast and Accurate Morolora 68000 Emulation Library
- Liberty Simulation Environment - language, compiler, and libraries designed to create hardware models
- ATC - Address trace compressor
- T&D-Bench - framework for design space exploration (DSE) of embedded processors
- Archer - A community cyberinfrastructure for computer architecture research and education
- PathScale/Open64/ORC Interactive Compilation Interface (ICI)
- GCC Interactive Compilation Interface (ICI)
- MARS - MIPS Assembler and Runtime Simulator
- CMP-SIM - A chip multiprocessor (CMP) simulation environment
- MSCSim - a memory hierarchy simulator
- BASS 1.0 - a Benchmarking suite for evaluating Architectural Security Systems
- Mercury - A Temperature Emulation Suite for Server Systems
- BitRaker Toolbox - ARM/Thumb Binary Instrumentation Tool (ATOM-like), and an ARM/Thumb Performance Analysis Tool and Memory Checking Tool (free for academic use as well as a free year license to industry use.)
- TCgen - Automatic generator of high-performance trace (de-)compressors for user-defined trace formats
- SHARPE - Symbolic Hierarchical Automated Reliability and Performance Evaluator
- EPIC Explorer - VLIW architecture exploration framework
- Pin Dynamic Instrumentation Tool 2.0 - An ATOM-like tool for Linux which performs dynamic instrumentation. Platforms suported include IA32, EM64T, Xscale, and Itanium.
- WaveScalar Development Toolkit - Alpha to WaveScalar binary translator, WaveCache architecture simulator, cross-compiler tools
- Quantify - Commercial performance tuning tool.
- Vampir - Vampir (Visualization and Analysis tool for MPI Resources) is a tool to analyze the runtime behaviour of MPI programs.
- pfmon - The pfmon tool is a simple monitoring tool which can be used to collect simple counts or samples from unmodified binaries or an entire system.
- RAVEN - Random assembly
code generator for processor verification
- HotLeakage - simulatessub-threshold and gate leakage as a function of runtime temperature and operating voltage
- HotSpot thermal model - simulates temperature in conjunction with architecture power/performance simulators
- OProfile - System-wide performance monitoring tool for Linux
- SimPoint - Automatically determining which part(s) of a program to simulate for accurate and representative simulations
- MRRL - for use with sampled simulation; automatically and rigorously determines the minimum fast-forward portion that requires cache simulation to defeat cold-start bias
- RaVi - A educational
tool for visualization of computer architecture
- MOB - A Memory Organization Benchmark, can be used to probe memory system properties
- ARCHTEST - a commercial multiprocessor verification tool, free for academic uses
- Valgrind - an open-source memory debugger and cache/memory profiler for x86-GNU/Linux
- ALTO - Link-time Code Optimization tool
- DAISY - IBM's software for dynamic binary translation research
- CACTI - Cache Access and Cycle Time Information
- Compaq (Digital) Continuous Profiling Infrastructure (DCPI)
- Intel's VTune Performance Analyzer
- LaTTe: A Fast, Open-Source Java Virtual Machine and Just-in-Time Compiler
- CGEN- Red Hat's Cpu tools GENerator
- NETCARE - NETwork-computer for Computer Architecture Research and Education (joint project: Purdue University, Northwestern University, and University of Wisconsin at Madison)
- SBC Traces: SPEC CPU2000 Address Traces - SBC Trace Compression and SPEC CPU2000 traces
- PinPoints - PinPoints toolkit combines PIN (dynamic+instrumentation) with SimPoint for an automatic generation of representative simulation points.
- ATMI - Microprocessor temperature model
- VariaSim - CAD tool for studying impact of process variability on circuits
- Sim-SODA - A Framework for Analyzing Microarchitecture Soft-error Vulnerability
Benchmarks & Traces
- MOLEN Platform - allows software and reconfigurable hardware co-execution. User can implement functions in reconfigurable hardware, compile supporting application software, and experiment on silicon.
WWW Computer Architecture Page
Maintained by Derek Hower
Doug Burger, and
Computer Architecture Group
Computer Sciences Department
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Copyright 1999-2006, All Rights Reserved
Last modified: Tuesday, 01-Dec-2009 12:41:32 CST