Supporting Material for the Third Edition
material is available free to download for students and instructors:
QBE chapter is now online available (PDF format, postscript
- Lecture slides for all chapters in Adobe PDF
and in postscript format. (All slides except
chapter 24 are available now.)
- A solution manual that contains the solutions to all the odd-numbered
exercises in the book for all the basic material (up
to including chapter 21) PDF
format, postscript format.
- Information about the Minibase
Minibase is a database management system intended for educational use.
Lecture slides in Portuguese (thanks to
Mario Nascimento at the University of Alberta, Canada). These slides were made
for the First Edition of the book.
Lecture slides in
Korean (thanks to Byoungho Song at Sangmyung University, Korea). These
slides were made for the Second Edition of the book.
- A page with links to resources on the WWW.
We included links for languages (such as C++), technologies (such as JSP,
Servlets, XML, XSLT, etc.), and database systems. If you have additional
links that you would like to include, send
- A short instructor's guide for configuring
Apache Tomcat 4 for classroom usage.
- Sample tables and an
installation script for all the exercises in the SQL chapter, Chapter 5. You
can get all tables and the script in one
zip file. Note that this material also exists customized for Microsoft
Access and Oracle (see below).
- SQL script to create
the tables for the exercises.
- Exercise 5.1 and Exercise 5.8: Student,
- Exercise 5.2: Suppliers, Parts,
- Exercise 5.3: Flights, Aircraft,
- Exercise 5.4, Exercise 5.7, and Exercise 5.10: Emp,
- Exercise 5.5: Sailors
Material for several commercial database systems:
- Database files for all the SQL exercises at the end of the SQL Chapter
Microsoft SQL Server:
The following material is available free to download
only to instructors.
(How do I get access to instructor's
1) Slides for the Third Edition
in Powerpoint 95 format. All slides are available except the slides for
2) Installation manuals for
3) Internet hands-on course projects. (This is material for Chapters 6 and
This material includes design documents,
installation guides for the application server, and complete source code for the projects.
This material is
currently available for IBM
DB2 and for Microsoft SQL Server 2000. We are working on versions for Oracle. The
following applications are available: Online Record Store, Online Pharmacy, Student Enrollment System,
and Airline Reservation System.
- Material for DB2 (design documents, installation guides, complete source
code for four sample applications)
- Material for Microsoft SQL
Server 2000 (design documents, installation guides, complete source code for
four sample applications)
We have also a quick-start guide for setting up Tomcat available.
4) Solutions to exercises, both odd and even-numbered exercises (PDF
up to Chapter 14. We are currently working on the remaining chapters.
5) Two extra SQL exercises
These SQL exercises can be used as SQL homework assignments for
registration system (contains full assignment text, a Microsoft
Access sample database, and files for bulk-loading sample relations into
other database systems). This assignment has been used several times at
Cornell University between 1999 and 2002.
- Star Wars
(includes assignment text and a Microsoft Access sample database). This
assignment has been used at Cornell University between 1996 and 1999.
6) Sample Exams
- We have a zip-file that contains nine exams from the Cornell undergraduate
database course CS432: Introduction to Database Management Systems from
1999-2002. Feel welcome to take any questions from these exams.