Re: Voting weight & democracy

Dear anh Lam and friends,

I wasn't advocating specificly that `educated' people should
have higher voting weight. In fact, the weighting is probably so
complicated that we know of no right way for it. I was making a point
that many things that we take for granted as sacred about democracy,
the one-man-one-vote concept in particular, are just compromises.

Take a married couple with 4 children. Is there any sacred principle
which says that the interest of 6 people are represented by 2 votes?

And something more controversial, which I won't try to push:
is the vote of a teacher and a vote of a person who has and 10
convictions and never has a job really equivalent?

I think the answers depend on whether one sees democracy in terms
of its being a spiritual right or of its utility.

Theoretical question: can there ever be a post-democracy society,
one that is `good' in the long term?

Huy