Re: Ba'o VN: Cha^'t xa'm cha?y ve^` dda^u?

Hi Lam,

I agree with your point of view but I wonder if others see the same
relationships between foreign investments and the economy as we do.  Of
course
one would hope that there is balance and control o foreign investment but
it is unjust to
criticize Vietnamese professionals working for foreign companies.  Free
market will determine where people work and in this
global economy, it is dificult to get ahead by being isolated or relying
on protectionism.

Several years ago, in the U.S., when Pat Buchanan ran
for president under the protectionism and nationalism slogans, I saw on
TV pictures of some people burning Komatsu tractors and calling on people to
buy John
Deere tractors.  The irony was that the Komatsu ones were made in America
and John Deere's were made in Japan.  Then people found out that Ford
automobiles and tractors were made in Japan and Honda were manufactured in
the U.S... and Pat Buchanan drove a Mercedes...

Foreign companies are in VN because they want to make profits (or feel
that they can).  They are not there to "help the Vietnamese people".  But
we can make their presence and investments beneficial for the Vietnamese
people by having good regualtions to protect them as well as the
consumers, and encouraging our professionals to learn from these
companies while working for them as much
as they could so that they can run Vietnamese companies later and compete
with foreign firms.

Sincerly,

Phan Thanh Lam