Re: (Help) Question of X11R5

hi,

IMO, x-window was developped because the Workstation Vendors (HP,
IBM, SUN etc) wanted to have a graphical user interface on their
machines. X usually running on top of Unix just like MS-window
and DOS. X window is very complicated and much more sophicated
than MS-window. One very important feature of Xwindow that make it
differs from MSwindow is that it is a network-based windowing system
(client/server). That means we can remotely run an application
on a machine on the network and have the result (display)
displayed back to our local machine as if we run a local application.
for example, someone may sitting at Hanoi logon to a machine at
Berkerly (via the Internet or some other means), run a scientific
application and the display sent back to his screen as if he's running
the apllication locally.