I graduated during the summer of 2006 from
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Computer Science Department
and have been with IBM Almaden since then.
Since graduating, I have been interested in emerging data intensive systems such as
that place an emphasis on scalability, fault-tolerance, and ease of administration.
Specifically, I've been working on JAQL,
a query language designed for JSON data that
compiles queries down to a map-reduce based plan. JAQL is an open-source project so I
encourage you to try it out and contribute feedback or code.
I have also continued work on text indexing in the context of semi-structured data,
inspired by my thesis, "Integrating Text Search and Relational Databases:
Functionality and Performance". My additional interests include:
indexing, query processing, privacy, and visualization systems.
Please see below for a list of my publications:
- Vuk Ercegovac, Vanja Josifovski, Ning Li, Maurício R. Mediano, Eugene J. Shekita: Supporting sub-document updates and queries in an inverted index.CIKM 2008 ACM Digital Library
- Bishwaranjan Bhattacharjee, Vuk Ercegovac, Joseph S. Glider, Richard A. Golding, Guy M. Lohman, Volker Markl, Hamid Pirahesh, Jun Rao, Robert Rees, Frederick Reiss, Eugene J. Shekita, Garret Swart: Impliance: A Next Generation Information Management Appliance. CIDR 2007 PDF
- Vuk Ercegovac, David J. DeWitt, Raghu Ramakrishnan The TEXTURE Benchmark: Measuring Performance of Text Queries on a Relational DBMS. VLDB 2005. PDF Slides
- Kristen LeFevre, Rakesh Agrawal, Vuk Ercegovac, Raghu Ramakrishnan, Yirong Xu, David DeWitt. Limiting Disclosure in Hippocratic Databases. VLDB 2004. PDF
- Raghu Ramakrishnan, Andrew Baptist, Vuk Ercegovac, Matt Hanselman, Navin Kabra, Amit Marathe, and Uri Shaft. Mass Collaboration: A Case Study. IDEAS 2004. PDF
- Navin Kabra, Raghu Ramakrishnan, Vuk Ercegovac. The QUIQ Engine: A Hybrid IRDB System. University of Wisconsin-Madison Technical Report TR-1449, 2002. PDF
- Navin Kabra, Raghu Ramakrishnan, Vuk Ercegovac. The QUIQ Engine: A Hybrid IRDB System. Demonstration at ICDE 2003. PDF
- A. Woodruff, C. Olston, A. Aiken, M. Chu, V. Ercegovac, M. Lin, M. Spalding and M. Stonebraker. DataSplash: A Direct Manipulation Environment for Programming Semantic Zoom Visualizations of Tabular Data. Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, Special Issue on Visual Languages for End-user and Domain-specific Programming, 12(5), October 2001, pp. 551-571.
- C. Olston, A. Woodruff, A. Aiken, M. Chu, V. Ercegovac, M. Lin, M. Spalding and M. Stonebraker. DataSplash. Demonstration at SIGMOD 1998. PDF