Paper Reviews and Class Participation
Students are expected to have completed the assigned readings before
attending class and actively participate in discussions. Students are
encouraged to form groups to discuss papers before class.
To facilitate great class discussions, students must submit an email
review of selected papers by 9am the morning of the lecture for
which the paper is assigned.
Late reviews will not be accepted and the time
is based on when the email is received, not sent.
It is possible that this schedule will change somewhat, and, if so,
I will send email a few days in advance.
Reviews should be emailed to both me and the TA
- Subject: 752 Review of Author1 et al.: Title1.
The ASCII body of the message (NOT an attachment; NOT HTML) should
be 20 to 40 lines (maximum 3200 characters) with:
- a short paragraph summarizing the problem attacked or goal of the paper,
- a short paragraph summarizing the paper's methods (if any) and results, and
- a short paragraph giving your opinion of what is good and bad about the paper.
Reviews will be graded on a scale of Excellent (10 points), Satisfactory (7
points), and Unsatisfactory (3 points). Reviews that are too long will
automatically receive an Unsatisfactory grade.
Students are encouraged to discuss the papers before writing their reviews,
but each student must write their own independent review. Reading another
student's review prior to submitting your own constitutes academic misconduct.
Reader 1 Review Due Dates & Assignments:
- Due Friday Sept 5, 752 Review of
Moore: Cramming More Components ...
- Due Monday Sept 8, 752 Review of
Patterson: Latency lags Bandwidth
- Due Wed Sept 10, 752 Review of
Colwell, et al.: Instruction Sets and Beyond...
- Due Friday Sept 12, 752 Review of
Emer & Clark: A Characterization ... VAX-11/780
Burger, et al.: Scaling to the end of Silicon
UNDER CONSTRUCTION -- DO NOT BELIEVE BELOW THIS POINT!
- Due Thurs Sept 21, 752 Review of Yeh & Patt: Two-level Adaptive
Training Branch Prediction
- Due Tues Sept 26, 752 Review of Ernst: A Low-Power Pipeline Based ...
- Due Thurs Sept 28, 752 Review of McNairy/Soltis: Itanium 2 Processor
- Due Tues Oct 3, 752 Review of Smith & Pleszkun: Implementing Precise
- Due Thurs Oct 12, 752 Review of Yeager: The MIPS R10000 ...
- Due Tues Oct 12, 752 Review of Mutlu: Runahead Execution ...
- Due Thurs Oct 17, Review of Srinivasan: Continual Flow Pipelines
Due Tues Oct 17, 752 Review of Gochman: The Intel Pentium M Processor ...
Reader 2 Review Due Dates & Assignments:
- Due Thurs Oct 26, 752 Review of Russell: The Cray-1 Computer System
- Due Tues Nov 7, 752 Review of
Jouppi: Improving Direct-Mapped Cache Performance ...
- Due Tues Nov 9, 752 Review of
Albonesi: Selective Cache Ways ...
- Due Thurs Nov 14, 752 Review of
Kim: An Adaptive, Non-Uniform Cache ...
- Due Tues Nov 16, 752 Review of
Vogt, Fully Buffered DIMM ...
- Due Thurs Nov 21, 752 Review of
Jacob: Virtual Memory on ...
- Due Tues Nov 28, 752 Review of Patterson, et al.: A Case for
Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks (RAID)
- Due Tues Nov 30, 752 Review of Tullsen et al.: ... Simultaneous
- Due Thurs Dec 5, 752 Review of Kongetira: Niagara ...
- Due Tues Dec 7, 752 Review of Adams: A Comparison of...
- That's It!