- AAAI / Computing Community Consortium "Blue Sky Ideas" Track Prize, 2015
- ICML Classic Paper Prize, 2013
- Google Faculty Research Award, 2013
- Best Paper on Knowledge Discovery, ECML-PKDD 2012
- "COW" Student Choice Professor of the Year, 2012
- ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished Paper, International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis, 2011
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) award, 2010
Xiaojin Zhu and Andrew B. Goldberg.
Introduction to Semi-Supervised Learning.
Synthesis Lectures on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Morgan & Claypool, 2009.
This is a short, self-contained introductory book to semi-supervised learning for advanced undergraduates, entry-level graduate students and researchers in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Psychology, etc. Free download from many university computers.
- Tutorial on Statistical Machine Learning for NLP at CCF ADL 46 in Chongqing, China, 2013.
- Tutorial on Understanding Social Media with Machine Learning at CCF ADL 39 in Beijing, China, 2013.
- Tutorial on Graphical Models at KDD 2012.
- Tutorial on All of Graphical Models at The tenth International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA11), 2011.
- Tutorial on Semi-Supervised Learning at University of Chicago Machine Learning Summer School 2009
- Tutorial on Semi-Supervised Learning for Natural Language Processing at ACL 2008 with John Blitzer
- Tutorial on Semi-Supervised Learning at ICML 2007
- Tutorial and practice session on Semi-Supervised Classification: learning from labeled and unlabeled data at AERFAI Summer School. Granada, 2006
- We organized an ICML 2014 workshop on Topological Methods for Machine Learning in Beijing, China in June 2014.
- Action Editor, Machine Learning Journal
- Associate Editor, IEEE TPAMI
- Editorial Board, AI Matters: A Newsletter of ACM SIGAI
- Workshop Co-Chair: ICML 2011
- Area Chair / Senior Program Committee: ICML 2015, NAACL 2015, IJCAI 2015, EMNLP 2014, NLPCC 2014, ICML 2014, SDM 2014, AISTATS 2013, ICML 2013, SDM 2013, NIPS 2012, ICML 2012, NAACL-HLT 2012, ACML 2012, NIPS 2011, ICML 2011, ACML 2011
- Program Committee / Reviewer: lots
Short biographyXiaojin Zhu is an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Dr. Zhu received his B.S. and M.S. degrees in Computer Science from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 1993 and 1996, respectively, and a Ph.D. degree in Language Technologies from Carnegie Mellon University in 2005. He was a research staff member at IBM China Research Laboratory from 1996 to 1998. Dr. Zhu received the National Science Foundation CAREER Award in 2010, and best paper awards at ICML, ECML/PKDD, and SIGSOFT. His research interest is in machine learning, with applications in natural language processing, cognitive science, and social media.
Full Curriculum Vitae