- AAAI / Computing Community Consortium "Blue Sky Ideas" Track Prize, 2015
- ICML Classic Paper Prize, 2013
- Google Faculty Research Award, 2013
- Best Paper on Knowledge Discovery, ECML-PKDD 2012
- "COW" Student Choice Professor of the Year, 2012
- ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished Paper, International Symposium on Software Testing and Analysis, 2011
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) award, 2010
Xiaojin Zhu and Andrew B. Goldberg.
Introduction to Semi-Supervised Learning.
Synthesis Lectures on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Morgan & Claypool, 2009.
This is a short, self-contained introductory book to semi-supervised learning for advanced undergraduates, entry-level graduate students and researchers in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Psychology, etc. Free download from many university computers.
- Tutorial on Statistical Machine Learning for NLP at CCF ADL 46 in Chongqing, China, 2013.
- Tutorial on Understanding Social Media with Machine Learning at CCF ADL 39 in Beijing, China, 2013.
- Tutorial on Graphical Models at KDD 2012.
- Tutorial on All of Graphical Models at The tenth International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA11), 2011.
- Tutorial on Semi-Supervised Learning at University of Chicago Machine Learning Summer School 2009
- Tutorial on Semi-Supervised Learning for Natural Language Processing at ACL 2008 with John Blitzer
- Tutorial on Semi-Supervised Learning at ICML 2007
- Tutorial and practice session on Semi-Supervised Classification: learning from labeled and unlabeled data at AERFAI Summer School. Granada, 2006
- We organized an ICML 2014 workshop on Topological Methods for Machine Learning in Beijing, China in June 2014.
- Action Editor, Machine Learning Journal
- Associate Editor, IEEE TPAMI
- Editorial Board, AI Matters: A Newsletter of ACM SIGAI
- Workshop Co-Chair: ICML 2011
- Area Chair / Senior Program Committee: NIPS 2015, ICML 2015, NAACL 2015, IJCAI 2015, EMNLP 2014, NLPCC 2014, ICML 2014, SDM 2014, AISTATS 2013, ICML 2013, SDM 2013, NIPS 2012, ICML 2012, NAACL-HLT 2012, ACML 2012, NIPS 2011, ICML 2011, ACML 2011
- Program Committee / Reviewer: lots
Short biographyXiaojin Zhu is an Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Dr. Zhu received his B.S. and M.S. degrees in Computer Science from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 1993 and 1996, respectively, and a Ph.D. degree in Language Technologies from Carnegie Mellon University in 2005. He was a research staff member at IBM China Research Laboratory from 1996 to 1998. Dr. Zhu received the National Science Foundation CAREER Award in 2010 and best paper awards at ICML, AAAI, ECML/PKDD, and SIGSOFT. His research interests include foundations of human and machine learning, topological methods for machine learning, and social media for social good.
Full Curriculum Vitae